Becoming a Writer: Leaving Olympia

I needed to decide what to do with the house I owned.  First, I considered selling it.  I got an estimate.  I looked at my property taxes.  I looked at comparable housing prices.

Then I spoke with a property management company.  My friend Nick and I spent hours fixing the place up, then I rented it out.  Despite the repairs that we did, the property management company wanted to do more, and I consented.

Renting a house is expensive.  My property management company charges high fees for every repair.  They charge a monthly fee.  They took a cut for a finder’s fee.  They recommended that I increase my renter’s insurance premiums, and I consented.

But the property management company manages the property so that I don’t have to worry about it, which is exactly what I want them to do.

Next I needed to decide what to do about my car insurance.  I called my insurance company, and they said I would not be covered in Mexico.  They recommended a Mexican insurance company.  I cancelled my insurance.

I next needed to decide what to do about my health insurance.  I was covered during the time that I was in the United States because of the job that I was in.  I would not be covered in Mexico.  Currently, I have no health insurance.

The next thing I needed to do was to determine how best to quit my job.  I had wanted to wait through the summer until I had finished reading most of my grants, so that I would not leave my colleague in the lurch.  I also wanted to enjoy the summer.  Thus I thought October would be an ideal time to go.

One fall morning, however, I chafed at some quibbling thing, and in a burst of petulance, I resigned.  I had been intending to resign anyway, but the manner in which I proposed to leave was short-sighted.  That afternoon, however, I spoke with my boss, and with her equanimity and good reason, I agreed that, rather than resigning outright, it would be best to put in my two weeks’ notice.  I took a day of sick leave, then the next day I was back in the office.

I ended staying for more than the planned two weeks, which proved beneficial.  I was able to give away my unused sick leave to those that needed it, to make final arrangements as necessary, and leave everything in as good an order as I could manage.

This proved more than a little helpful, and it taught me that even my best laid plans could be interrupted by my own emotions, if they weren’t controlled.  It was also another feather in my cap for my boss, whose sense of reason is admirable.

There are always bumps in the road, and that was my biggest.